Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad

Whenever I go home to St. Louis I make sure to get the low-fat chicken salad from my favorite local lunch cafe. Now that I am no longer a student and my time at home is limited, I thought it was time to come up with my own mayo-free chicken salad recipe, one I wouldn't feel guilty about eating. Tangy fat-free yogurt and creamy avocado create a delicious and mild sauce, similar to the one I love from home. Pair this sauce with freshly roasted chicken, crunchy celery, and spicy green onion and you've got a delicious and healthy version of the luncheon classic.

Ingredients:
1 to 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 cup mashed Avocado (approximately half of a small avocado)
1/4 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup finley chopped Celery
1 tablespoon finely chopped Green Onion
Black Pepper and Additional Salt, to taste

Directions:

Preaheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Bake chicken breasts for 25 minutes. Once cooked, allow chicken to cool slightly then either shred or dice the chicken into bite-size pieces. Refridgerate until completely cooled then add yogurt, avocado, celery, and green onion. Mix until completely combined. Add salt and black pepper to taste. For best result, refridgerate for an hour before serving.

Servings: 4 Serving Size: approximately a heaping 1/2 cup; 210 calories per serving
Tips: 
I sometimes like to add banana peppers for a little kick or grapes for some sweetness
Enjoy this chicken salad on it's own with a side of fruit, in a wrap, or club style on wheat bread with lettuce, tomato and turkey bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment